Carrageenan is extracted from a moss. Sulfated polymers are galactose and anhydrogalactose.
With the help of potassium salt, carrageenan is divided into soluble (Landa carrageenan) and potassium-precipitating or potassium-sensitive (kappa carrageenan). There is also a calcium-sensitive component, which is called iota carrageenan. Addition of calcium and potassium can cause rapid formation of carrageenan gel.
Kappa and Landau varieties are important in the food industry.
|Reaction with protein||Reaction with kappa casein||Reaction with kappa casein||–|
|Solution in hot water (80 °C)||Soluble||Soluble||Soluble|
|Solution in cold water (20 °C)||With Sodium ion; Soluble – With calcium ion, limited potassium swelling||Soluble||With Sodium ion; soluble- with calcium; solid emulsion thixotropic liquid|
|Gel Formation||Forms a strong gel with potassium ion||Forms no gel||Forms Gel with Calcium ion|
|Returnable Gel||The gel cannot be returned||Forms no gel||Gel is returnable|
|Gel Texture||Fragile||Forms no gel||Elastic|
Carrageenan applications in dairy:
- Carrageenan is added to cocoa milk to prevent the deposition of cocoa.
- anda Carragarin is used to produce low-fat sauces and to prevent oil absorption by frying products.
- Combining kappa and landa carrageenan to create a gel with creamy texture or suspension
- Increased concentration and gelation in creamy desserts and mousse
- Improving texture and reducing viscosity during the processing of dairy products using iota carrageenan with modified starch
The use of carrageenan in jelly desserts and cake glitters:
- The strength and fragility of kappa carrageenan jellies
- Flexibility, adhesion and non-synergy of iota Carrageenan jellies
- In carrageenan-made jellies, the product gives a similar appearance to gelatin-based jellies
- Faster gelling and better stability at ambient temperature are also desirable features of this jelly.
The use of carrageenan in meat products:
- Moisture retention and elevation of water holding capacity
- Increased baking efficiency
- Better slicing
- Better mouth feel
The use of carrageenan in beverages:
- Beer Transparency